Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Needle Sizes

Over the past summer, I finally found some yarn for a fangirl Harry Potter Gryffindor scarf.




Berroco Cuzco, 50% Alpaca and 50% Peruvian Wool



I was very excited! After ditching my Red Heart version knit in my early days, I have been on the lookout for a soft yarn in the right colors.





I am practicing altering the color of my imges in Photoshop and I rather like how this one turned out.



I was also excited because I could use my very first knitting needles ever, 8mm bamboo straights. I have many fond memories of those needles and they have served me well. Having spent so many hours with them in my early days, I was surprised at how long it took me to readjust to them. It felt like I was knitting with awkward, stubby tree trunks. It didn't hit me fully until I compared them to the needles I usually knit with these days (2.25 mm sock needles).







Though not represented in this picture, I have retained a preference for bamboo.



WOW, that explains it. Then for fun I compared the fabrics from each needle:



Sorry about all the stripes and colors going on here...it was an experiment in knit photography.


The one awesome thing about knitting with big needles I had forgotten was how fast the project zips along. I totally got this project done in about 8 hours (two art classes+ cast on at home+ knit group).

Hooray for quick knits that are 8+ feet long and keep your neck warm while showing my shamless HP love!

No comments: