Sunday, May 8, 2011

scrabble scrabble scrabble

How to cast on the Miralda shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia 


  • Watch Cory knit several beautiful Miralda shawls in Jade Sapphire.  Decide there is no reason to mess up a good thing, join the Knit-A-Long she is hosting and snatch up two skeins of Jade Sapphire the day Smith's gets it in.  Rip proper needles out of sweater-in-progress that hasn't been touched for months.
  • Read Yarn Harlot's post about the perils of casting on for Miralda.  Chuckle nervously and hope that won't be me.
  • Cast on 331 stitches holding yarn double at the knit shop, so there is moral support of I mess up.  Place markers every 50 stitches, recount.  Knit first two rows.  Decide I should start on chart and get the pattern established before first knit-a-long class on Tuesday so it's far enough along I can knit in public and socialize at the same time.
  • Get to last 4 stitches of row 1 of the correct lace chart.  Realize I am on stitch short.  Decide problem was my not counting stitches correctly in previous step (even though I double and triple counted), but decide I can fake it and leave out last decrease.  Be smug because I have made it through the first charted row almost unscathed.
  • Get to last 30 stitches of row 3, realize I am off.  Be confused, because this is an odd place to come up short of stitches.  Eyeball chart, fail to see mistake.
  • Be driven slightly crazy when the thing living in my floorboards scrabbles while I re-count stitches.  Wonder what happens if it dies in my floorboards; how resistant to the smell of rotting flesh will my stash be?
  • After much deliberation and recounting (and stomping on the floorboads to get the creature to be quite/go away) Think I have found mistake in first chart row.  Rip.  Recount and make sure charts are correct.


Intermission: sleep


  • Begrudgingly begin to re-knit, sitting in the sunshine (yay spring!).
  • Go visit mama cat the Pirate and I are considering adopting.   Fall in love with her even though she might eat yarn.  Have her fuzzy kittens whose eyes are not open yet take the edge off.
  • Re-knit the last 30 stitches of row 1.  Come up short, just like last time.  Decide to fake it, just like last time even though this might not be the best plan because knitting doesn't like to be forced.
  • Come up short halfway through row 3, just like I expected but in a different place.  Re-consult chart.  Wonder why I thought it was a good idea to start a bottom-up shawl when I was getting bored with a top-down shawl.
  • Realize that for no reason whatsoever I have been only reading part of the chart and have completely left off 4 edge stitches on both sides of row 1.
  • Be baffled at how in the world leaving off 8 pattern stitches but apparently adding another 10 stitch repeat makes me come up one stitch short since I should have been at least two stitches over.  Twice.
  • Decide that the only thing to take the edge off the scrabbling floorboard creature and shawl is to adopt mama cat and ALL FOUR of her adorable fuzzy wee kittens.  Wonder if in addition to taking the edge off my knitting troubles I can also set mama cat on the creature that is still scrabbling in my the floorboards.

No comments: