Monday, May 23, 2011

Swatching the Future

I am very much an Analyzer.  I will happily take any and all events in my life and research, ponder, debate, and in general wear the problem down until it's as worried and worn as a small, perfectly smooth pebble on the creek bed.   Sometimes this serves me well because when I make a decision it is carefully thought through, and sometimes I just get bogged down analyzing and over-analyzing some more with a bit of anxiety thrown in for good measure.

Right now there is a lot of transition in my life simply because that's where I'm at in my life: And after Graduation there came a time of great transition where her loved ones scattered to the winds and Ondrea had to decide what was Important, and how to take this Important and make it Reality.*  As per usual, I have analyzed and barked in circles until it feels like I've come out the other side even though really I never left my couch the entire time.

Since it was a beautiful day on Saturday, I did a smart thing and got myself out of the house for some social interaction.  I played some Calvinball (if you get hit by the pink ball, drop whatever you are carrying...if you pick up zee flip-flop, you talk een Russian accent), and then I went to Smith's for the monthly party of good friends, fine yarn, and tasty food.

Lily of the Valley and wee-gloves that Sparkle found on one of her excursions.

In anticipation and hope for the of the future and because I was sick and tired of analyzing everything (Geeze, at some point, you just have to stop and enjoy it all because there's no way you can figure everything out) I started my Christmas Knitting.  Yes, you heard me.  Christmas knitting.  In May.  Right now it looks like this:

Classic Elite Fresco: 60% wool, 30% alpaca, 10% angora
I'm excited!  I've already researched, doodled and swatched since I am designing these projects myself (and is one of the reasons I started so early).  I even did a big one adn washed and dried it, because I'm hopefully creating some heirlooms and I'd like to write up the pattern for other people to use when I'm done.  So far my swatch has told me I needed to swatch again in smaller needles--sizes 3 and 5.  So!  Another swatch before I jump in and cast these suckers on my needles.

Here's to the future, which might require a bit of swatching to get where I want but will come out how it's supposed to in the end.

*I re-read Lamb again.  You should too.

No comments: